Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Looking Over The Edge


How has the internet changed the way writers use their words today? Do you know how many writers are writing about writing to other writers? It seems they are on, or quickly getting on, the promotion bandwagon of writing about writing on their blog, newsletter, guest blog or reviewer site. Soon, we will get so saturated we will all puke. I’m still on the learning curve lapping up what I don’t know and appreciate the free advice from seasoned writers writing about promotion, but I can see the cliff ahead over which all the lemmings are going. Maybe it’s just me because I always have a different take on things (my theme being #on the edge,--and thus possibly seeing what's on the other side).

Now, before you jump on my case, I realize writers have to lure readers to buy their books, like spiders have to lure victims to their webs. Sorry for the analogy but it’s applicable, all except the wrapping up and eating part. And how do spiders lure their ‘victims' to their web? Offer something enticing. Isn’t it more fun for readers to find something they are interested in (what interested you to write), rather than regurgitate information about writing which is only of interest to other writers? (Teachers, agents, promoters who are in the business of book sales are exempt, of course.)
           
While reading a pep talk on the NaNoWriMo web site (from Erin Morgenstern http://erinmorgenstern.com/blog/) I found her writing so fascinating and visual, I linked to her blog and then had to immediately buy her book. Her words intrigued me, but she grabbed me with the story behind her story. I think it is fine to promote our work and talk to other writers about our work but we need to keep our mind focused on the main goal of selling our work to our readers and building readership. Just my opinion.

Any writers who differ, I’m open and anxious to hear from you.

#coraramos #writer #blogger #blog #fiction #paranormal

No comments: